To celebrate the release of the new edition of Year Walk, Simogo Troubadour Extraordinaire Jonathan Eng composed a Year Walk themed single called Myling Lullaby. It’s a beautiful, and quite heart-breaking, song from a mother to her child. Available on LOUDR, and coming soon to all other music stores.
We are very happy to tell you that YEAR WALK FOR PC AND MAC IS NOW AVAILABLE ON STEAM!
We probably do not need to tell you what’s new again. We just want to quickly tell you that this new version is made with much much love during the last four months, and we dearly hope both Year Walk veterans and newcomers will enjoy it.
Long overdue, but here it is: The New Simogo Site! As you can see, we are no more blue, and all the old friends, such as Borderworm and Headermonkey are gone. They are… in a better place now.
Jokes aside, we didn’t feel the old site portrayed what we are making (and frankly it was feeling rather old…), and we wanted something that felt more timeless. What do you think?
We are still ironing out the last bugs, so please bear with us. If you see something odd, please, do let us know!
Big thanks to Victor for helping us out with the new site!
You better hurry up, because the DEVICE 6 posters are available right NOW at Fangamer!
The Island Mystery at The Twin Castles
A 18″ x 24″ reproduction of a cover for an unreleased paperback, found in large quantities in several boxes at an abandoned printing shop in Sheffield. The back cover describes the adventure of a cunning woman named Anna who wakes up on a remote island. A list of other titles such as “The Clue in the Stuffed Crocodile” and “The Talking Mannequin Cipher”, suggest that there were several “Interactive Mysteries” produced in what appear to be called the “HAT series.”
Simulation Area 1 & 2 Area Plans
We uncovered these curious 24″ x 18″ plans printed on natural matte paper onboard of Lily Christine, a fishing boat that mysteriously sailed ashore unmanned at Port Denison, December 2013. We’re not quite certain what purpose these plans serve, but they seem to outline some sort of operation by an organisation named HAT, and includes detailed floor plans and history for locations known as the Bear Bridge, West and East Castle.
While the plans themselves appear to be new, the history described hark back to the early 20th century, and one Arkwright family.
The DEVICE 6 posters are finally coming out this month, thanks to the lovely people of fangamer.net! We will of course remind you before they go on sale, but we simply couldn’t resist to share the photos fangamer sent us.
There won’t be a lot of these so you’ll have to be quick if you want to snag one. There’ll be 500 of the Nancy Drew inspired “Island Mystery At The Twin Castles” glossy poster available, and only 250 one of the “Simulation Area 1 & 2″, which is printed on a very very nice, matte, natural paper.
We are very excited about this!
We have a date … And it’s so soon:
Year Walk hops on to Windows and Mac via Steam on March 6th!
Here’s the brand new trailer!
Get over to our new mini site www.yearwalk.com for screens and more!
In short, this is new:
• New locations within the game
• New puzzles
• Updated art
• Integrated encyclopedia about the mysterious myths and creatures encountered in the game
• Hint system
• Steam Achievement Puzzles
We’re really proud of it, and we hope you’ll appreciate all the work we’ve put into making this feel like its own unique thing, something familiar yet new, and not a straight port.
Hello! Just a tiny update of how the work is going with the pc/mac/beep-bop/steam-version of Year Walk.
Last week was the first time we could play the game from start to finish, with all the puzzles and new menus 100% done. It’s a really nice feeling to be able to get the full picture of the game.
While it still is and feels like Year Walk, the feel of the game is somwhat different now with the new controls and everything in the companion contained within the game. But, we’re happy to report that it feels great and natural. It doesn’t feel inferior, or much like a port at all. It is it’s own thing! It’s quite hard to explain, but basically we think our decision to not make a straight port has paid off.
Now with the added menus, map and hints and all that, we don’t think some well-thought out steam-achievements would feel out of place. So, if we can come up with some that we find interesting, and not just checklist type (“you completed the game, congratulations!”), we will probably add some. Maybe?
We still have a few visual-touch, tweaks, optimisations and polish to make, but then it’s on to implementing steam stuff, testing testing testing and hopefully we can get back to you soon with a release date!
… And an honourable mention in two. So, a little bit of DEVICE 6 in every category. What!?
The game is up for Excellence In Visual Art, Excellence In Narrative, Excellence In Audio and Seumas McNally Grand Prize at the IGF Awards on March 19th in San Francisco.
And we just learned that the game is nominated in the Game Developer’s Choice Award that very same night. Innovation and Handheld/Mobile!
It is 2014 and we are back in the office! We think a little recap (and what’s happening at the moment) is in order.
So, let’s start by looking back over what happened while we were out of the office:
• On the last day of 2013 we got some amazing news; Year Walk had reached 200.000 sold copies on the App Store!
• Simogo was one of the three studios in The Edge awards 2013: “studio of the year”-award (it’s in issue 262 and online right here).
• Both DEVICE 6 and Year Walk were on a lot of best of 2013-lists. Some of the notable include:
- DEVICE 6 was nominated for game of the year in the Best of 2013 at IGN, also for Story, Innovation and Puzzle.
- Both games were on Pocketgamers 10 best iPhone and iPad games of the year.
- DEVICE 6 was on Kill Screen’s 2013 list!, which featured some really nice illustrations for every game.
- DEVICE 6 was Gamezebo’s second best game of the year.
- DEVICE 6 made Joystiq’s Top 10 of 2013 as number 7.
- Simogo and DEVICE 6 was mentioned a few times on Telegraph’s Video Game Awards 2013
• As part of 148apps’ 2013 wrAPP up, they posted a nice piece called “Simogo’s Twin Masterpieces”.
• We also talked to Killscreen a bit about controllers vs tablet gaming.
Let’s move on to what’s happening now and in 2014 then!
• We are finishing up Year Walk for Steam. We are about 75% done before starting external testing. Not quite ready to commit to a date or month, but it should hopefully make the first quarter of 2014.
• We are hoping to give you an update of DEVICE 6 posters we mentioned a few weeks ago soon. They should be available before Year Walk for Steam, we hope!
• We should update our site and give it a fresh new look. Sigh …
• And in all of this we are also starting to think about, talk about and plan the next thing … Nothing has been set in stone, we have a few ideas we are toying around with at the moment. Exciting times!
Here’s hoping 2014 will be at least half as great as 2013! Cheers!